Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cord Scrunchie


This past weekend, my parents stayed with H and I for the first time ever. I absolutely LOVED it. I was a bit of a nervous wreck preparing though. H could tell I was getting obsessed with details when I announced that the black lamp cord in their guestroom was unacceptable. Well it was.


I decided the night before they came (while I still had fundamental things to do...like scrubbing toilets) was a perfect time to sew what I call a cord scrunchie. H had never heard of or seen this before, so he thought I was dangerously off the rocker. These do exist however, but most of the commercial options are uglier than the cord. I remembered seeing adorable ones at anthropologie years ago in Atlanta. The basic idea is to sew a long tube to cover the cord and look like a soft scrunchie.


Tada! I made the tube half again longer than the cord (roughly) so it would have some nice bunching. The most annoying and time-consuming part of this very quick project was turning it inside out. I used a large wooden knitting needle to help (all the while H was pondering my sanity). Then I just tucked the raw fabric edges under at each end and wahla! Seriously one of the easiest projects ever. Done in about 20 minutes.


H was not extremely impressed, but admitted it was better than he thought it would be. I thought it made a big difference. What do you think, am I nuts or what? Well I am, but this is still a cool project.

3 comments:

  1. You have lost your mind.

    Hillbilly Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Cute! Hey, if Anthro has it, it's gotta be legit, right? :)

    How have you been? Having a nice summer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scrunchie! I'd never heard of such a thing and it's so cute. I'll bet your folks loved it too! Great blog--I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete