Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Feeling Wooly


It was very hard work to get these two balls of pretty, soft green yarn. It all started with a trip to my local consignment shop where they had a giant ball of soft green yarn on display with beautiful wooden knitting needles sticking out. I was petting the yarn lovingly when the sales lady walked by. I asked her if it was for sale or just display - turns out it was display, but she had a buy-one-get-one-free skein behind the counter that she wasn't going to use and said I could have for FREE!! Yipeee!!


I was not sure what to do with just one skein of this yarn, being such a massive gauge. You might think it's easy to unravel those two strings and turn it into two balls of worsted weight yarn. And you'd be wrong. I tried a bunch of really stupid stuff before finally sticking my own wooden knitting needle through the yarn and twirling it until the two strands separated and I could wind each ball a few feet at a time. If this makes no since, have no worries. I don't even understand it in writing. Just trust me, it was brilliant (or totally insane, however you want to look at it). The point is, I now have two highly useful balls of worsted weight free yarn. hehe!


These beauties were not free. These shall become a cute ear flap hat with pompoms, commissioned by my g'ma. I must show pictures of the one I gave my sister - we call it a snoopy hat :)


These will be the second hat - she needs one pink and one blue. She is so cute! I've already started the pink one. All it needs are ear flaps, strings and pompoms now. Pictures coming soon....

1 comment:

  1. I love that green yarn! I have some of it myself!! So soft and gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete