Thursday, January 8, 2009

Paint it Black

I have been hunting a pair of black flats for years. After getting repeatedly frustrated at not finding the right fit, style, etc, I gave up and said, "if you want something done, you've got to do it yourself!" Enter these lovely Kenneth Cole Reaction flats I got at TJ Max years ago. They are comfortable, suede, and adorable. I have another pair I like better in gray with a silver bow, and these were getting mighty grungy, being beige and all. I thought to myself, I wonder if I just tried some black shoe polish...



I did think about this considerably before doing something so permanent to cute shoes, and I am so glad I took the plunge :)


These are like Cinderella's little black slippers in the Disney cartoon. It sounds so silly to write that, but I think my mom would understand my love for those shoes - it's actually because of her that I wanted black flats so badly. She has worn black ballets around the house (and pink and white) for as long as I can remember, and only recently she said it was because she loved Cinderella's shoes so much as a child. If you could see me now, I have a goofy sentimental grin :)


I love ballet flats, and real ballets. My mom and I both wore white ballets at our weddings. I wore pink ballets as a bridesmaid in my sisters wedding, plus all of us were ballerinas growing up. I really want to take classes again as an adult - it's wonderful exercise and it develops such grace and poise.


I'm sure you can tell from the red marks on my foot that I was sitting for quite a while on the kitchen floor smothering these shoes with black shoe polish. Quite fun actually.


I was very surprised to find how difficult it is to take pictures of your own feet. I'm actually wearing these shoes now, and I love them. Next best thing to bare feet :)

1 comment: